The following is an episode of The Drawing Board focused on The Legacy of Final Fantasy VII Remake. The Drawing Board is a podcast by With a Terrible Fate that highlights the unstructured conversations about video games from which our analytical content is derived. The Legacy of Final Fantasy VII Remake is a series that analyzes how and why the remake of Final Fantasy VII is a landmark innovation in both Final Fantasy and video-game storytelling more broadly.
Welcome to Episode 14 of The Drawing Board, a podcast by With a Terrible Fate.
As part of With a Terrible Fate’s new article series analyzing the storytelling innovations of Final Fantasy VII Remake, we’re introducing a new feature on our podcast, “The Drawing Board”: article postmortems. In these episodes, we’ll sit down with the analysts who’ve written the most recent articles in our Final Fantasy VII Remake series to discuss the inspiration behind their article, the substance of the article itself, and the reception that the article has received since its release.
On the occasion of the first of these postmortem conversations, we’re excited to share with you discussions surrounding all four of the articles With a Terrible Fate has published about Final Fantasy VII Remake so far:
- We chat with Dan Hughes about how to view Final Fantasy VII and Remake’s opening scenes through the lens of film studies
- We discuss the theme of challenging fate and the potential of trophy-based storytelling with Aaron Suduiko
- We pick Adam Bierstedt’s brain about the relationship between Christianity and Buddhism in Final Fantasy VII Remake’s central conflict
Want to join the conversation? Shoot us your questions, comments, or other thoughts on our articles through Twitter, Facebook, or email (withaterriblefate [at] gmail.com), and we’ll do our best to shout you out in a future podcast episode!
Enjoy the podcast below, and stay tuned for more analysis coming soon.
Be aware: this podcast contains spoilers for Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
- The Legacy of Final Fantasy VII Remake series navigation: < “Apocalypse Soon? Final Fantasy VII Remake as Apocalyptic Literature” | “Solving the Puzzle of Roche in Final Fantasy VII Remake” >
- Listen to more of The Drawing Board