The following is an episode of With a Terrible Fate’s weekly podcast discussing video-game storytelling from all angles. Find all episodes here.
Video games return to the topic of pandemics time and time again. The Resident Evil series continues to indulge in close-up outbreak scenarios; The Walking Dead has brought players to tears at the emotional impact of loss; creative twists like Plague Inc. introduced the role of a pathogen on a quest to conquer the world; the infamous Corrupted Blood Incident in World of Warcraft even accidentally simulated a raging pandemic. With our guest, the cultural historian Dr. Arno Görgen, we discuss the constructions of pandemics in video-game stories and how they relate to our current real-world situation.
Later, Dan and Stefan’s side quests merge to ponder E3 2021, Take Two‘s diversity panel, and the Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins demo.
- Main Story
- 00:02:15 Playing the Pandemic, with Dr. Arno Görgen
- Side Quests
- 00:40:08 E3 2021 Overview
- 00:44:01 Take Two’s “Play for All” panel
- 00:49:35 Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins
- 00:54:32 Rocksmith+
- 00:58:05 Aragami 2
- 00:59:19 Vertigo
- 01:00:05 Xbox/Bethesda
- 01:01:50 Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
- 01:03:33 Game & Watch: The Legend of Zelda
- 01:07:02 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
- 01:09:00 Where to go from here?
- Podcast navigation: < Episode 7: Too Long to Beat | Episode 9: Returnal >